Good Food For Osteoporosis Patients

Consuming foods containing calcium is one of the best ways to prevent osteoporosis (bone loss). Well the question, what foods that contain calcium?

Good Food For Osteoporosis Patients

Consuming foods containing calcium is one of the best ways to prevent osteoporosis (bone loss). Well the question, what foods that contain calcium?

Previously it should be understood that, the cause of osteoporosis or bone loss is due to reduced bone mass due to minimal utilization of calcium by the body. So the bones become brittle, less dense, and easily broken. Usually bone loss occurs in the spine, hips and wrists.

Approximately 80 percent of osteoporosis disease arises due to heredity (genetic). While the remaining 20 percent due to unhealthy diet and lifestyle.

Therefore, controlling your diet and applying a healthy lifestyle is important. It is also necessary to know which foods are suitable for osteoporosis patients and which are not.

Foods that contain calcium

The largest mineral needed by the body is calcium. Calcium and phosphorus simultaneously play a huge role in shaping and maintaining bones and teeth.

More than 99 percent of the body's calcium is in the bones and teeth. That's why calcium is needed for the development of infants and children.

The benefits of calcium include restoring blood pressure in salt-sensitive patients, reducing spasms, especially in women who are pregnant. In addition, maintaining blood pressure stability during pregnancy, as well as help to thicken the blood and heal wounds.

Eating foods that contain high calcium in childhood is like saving calcium. So the body has plenty of calcium reserves that are useful for the formation of better bone mass in adulthood. Growth of bone mass is good, it is important that bones are not easily broken in the elderly.

In contrast, minimal calcium consumption during growth will result in weak and fragile bones as age increases. Especially in women who enter menopause. Such disorders are known as post menopausal bone loss (post menopausal osteoporosis).

Avoiding osteoporosis can be done since adolescents with adequate calcium consumption, regular exercise, and changing diet. The needs of calcium per day as much as possible are met from good quality food ingredients, which are easily digested, absorbed, and used by the body.

Foods that contain lots of calcium are milk, grains, beans, coconut, green leafy vegetables, seaweed, fish (especially small fish eaten with bones, such as anchovies), and fruits.

How to avoid osteoporosis?

Osteoporosis is often referred to as the silent killer. This disease is the number three killer after heart and cancer. Osteoporosis is not a rare disease, it can attack anyone.

How to avoid osteoporosis is to maximize the formation of bone mass at a young age. Calcium intake at the age of children and adolescents, will affect later in the elderly. Whether he has survival or is vulnerable to osteoporosis.

For teenagers who are growing (ages 11-24 years) is strongly recommended to consume calcium 1200 milligrams per day. In addition to drinking milk and other sources of calcium need to be maintained until adulthood.

Good food for osteoporosis

Below are some foods that are good for osteoporosis sufferers because they contain high calcium:

  • Fish: dried teri, moist rebon, fresh anchovy, canned sardine, mackerel
  • Vegetables: papaya leaves, taro leaves, mustard or caisim, broccoli
  • Nuts and processed products: soy milk, tempeh, tofu, dried green beans, dried red beans
  • Cereals: jali and oatmeal

Foods that are not good / should be avoided by people with osteoporosis

Foods that may inhibit the absorption of calcium such as caffeinated beverages (coffee or tea) should be avoided. Similarly, foods that can get rid of calcium such as red meat.

People with osteoporosis also need to stop smoking and alcoholic beverages.

Certain medications may also inhibit calcium absorption. If forced to take this type of drug, the consumption of calcium should be increased.

Consult to your doctor to get more information about what foods are good and needed or otherwise to avoid.

Osteoporosis